Friday, January 13, 2012

Organization Skillz

Since it's the new year and people tend to be working on resolutions and such, I thought it was the perfect time to share with you some organizing that I actually got the hair up my butt did in November.

See, my friend, Shortmama, who isn't blogging anymore (boo) but I love and have kept in touch with and call her one of my besties even though we've never physically met, was in an organization mood. She kept sending me pictures of the stuff she had done and one day I couldn't take it anymore.

I. Must. Organize!!

I'll show you my main project and then some others that I also did and tell you about some stuff I organized before I even remembered to take before pictures. Der!

Also. I was a sweaty, disgusting mess while I was doing this crap, so I didn't get my camera out, I relied on my cell camera. So. Bear with me. Or bare. I still can't figure that one out.

Here are the areas that I decided needed some of my mad organization skillz:
Craft area (which happens to be in the garage, bleh!)
Garage (because my craft area looks so nice I need to do the rest to match.)
Pantry (holy heck, that was a bad one, you'll see pictures.)
Baking cupboard
Kitchen cabinets
Kid's closet
Spare room closet
My closet
Gift closet
Bathroom drawers
Kitchen drawers
Tops of refrigerators and freezers (one in the house, freezer and fridge in the garage. they become catch alls.)
Coat closet

Wow. Looking at this list and thinking of all that work makes me tired! And sweaty. Again.

So here are some before pictures of the pantry. Don't. You. Judge. Me!




I had stuff in there from cleaning supplies to the kids Easter and Halloween candy to paper products to food.

I had seen a long time ago a pantry re-do where the person had used lazy susans to organize. This way, you could easily get to the stuff in the back corners by swiveling the lazy susan. Then you don't end up with doubles and triples of things that you thought you needed at the grocery store but couldn't see that you already had in your pantry.

I drug my dad to Home Depot and had him help me find the large flat circle composite wood that I would need. Did that make any sense? No? Yeah, doesn't to me either.

I also needed the base that turns the circles into a spinning object.
tools needed: wood circle, pencil, hammer, screw driver, tape measure and base thingy that turns it into a spinny circle

I centered the base thingy, marked it off and then hammered in some starter holes. Then took the tiny screws that came with the spinny thingy and screwed it in. By hand. I'm a beat, y'all! Lame.

Then I took the newly made lazy susans and centered them in the corners of the pantry shelves. Tacked some finishing nails in 4 spots and placed the lazy susans into the space between the tacked finishing nails. This way they wouldn't slide, see?
After I had them securely in place on the pantry shelves I filled them with items that I am constantly over buying because I can't see that I have a bunch in the back corner.

I corralled all of my paper products into a basket, and put the boxes (like cereal, granola bars, etc) on the shelves on either side of the lazy susans. Boxes line up nicely. Cans and bags do not.

Here's a crappy cell picture of the inside of my pantry now:


After organizing everything I could see two things:
We buy a lot of Great Value brand food.
And we actually don't have as much food as it looked like when it was all messy.

You can't see that on the shelves, besides the lazy susans, there are boxes of food and treats for the kids.

But it looks a lot better!

The other thing I did was to clean out my gift closet. When you're going through all of your stuff you can really see that a lot of stuff you throw in your "catch all place" is just stuff you can toss out.

Here's the before of the gift closet. We also store luggage and games in there.


I found some storage shelves that we weren't using (duh, no wonder it's so messy in there.) and put them in the closet. I got some collapsible bins from the Dollar Tree for the little things and then organized the games and keepsakes that were on the top shelf.

i will never have to buy another gift bag as long as i live. the bottom shelf is organized with all separate categories of gift bags inside the largest i had of each kind of gift bag. does that make sense?


Another upside to organizing? When I was cleaning out my nightstand drawer I found 70 bucks! And by the denominations of the bills, I can tell it was a Christmas gift from my grandmother. She died in 2007. Before Christmas. So this money was 5 years old. Who loses 70 bucks?!

And there you have it. I didn't take pictures of anything else, but I did them all. I feel so accomplished!

Do you have any tips or tricks for organizing and keeping it that way?


ps: do you think that women named Susan are insulted that those things are called Lazy Susans?

I'm gonna link this hot mess up to TT&J this Friday for the weekend wrap up and also here:




Photobucket

33 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

oh my goodness. i am seeeeeriously impressed. i love the lazy susans in the corners, soooo smart!!

and really, who loses $70??

Melinda said...

Come and do my house. You know you love me, Please
ps ya only have one mom and she won't live forever ya know??

Becca @ R We There Yet Mom? said...

I really love the lazy susan idea in the pantry - I have corner shelves like that too - how hard were they to make??

You have to use the found $70 for a treat for YOU!!!!!!

~Becca

Heather's Happenings said...

Please come and do my house. I am in serious need of some organization.

If we find any money you can keep it hahaha!

McVal said...

LOL! I know someone named Susan and yes... She would definitely take offense. But only because she's extremely high strung...
Good on you for finding FOUND MONEY!!!
I think most of my organizational forays would need to include a dumpster.
and a nursing home for someone.

Furry Bottoms said...

Are you sure that's not MY pantry?

I like lazy susan's. Until things start to fly off because you're whipping it around too fast.

Furry Bottoms said...

BTW, I knew I was missing some cash. Hand em over!!! ;-)

Connie Weiss said...

I think we should rename them Lackadaisical Susans.

I really need to clean out our coat closet. Every time I open it....something hits me on the head and I pass out for about 20 minutes.

Steph said...

Yay for $70. Don't tell your husband or boys. Spend it on yourself.

Ducky said...

Man oh man! I'm reading all these organizing posts today and Irishman is currently at the depot store looking at 'stuff'.... talk about orgasmic. Organizing makes me SOOO happy! I just need more time to do it.

Sigh

There go my weekend plans. I will be getting the pond in tip top shape! Man *rubs hands together* I can not wait to get started! KUDOS to all your awesome work! Looks fantastic!

Xazmin said...

Why the crap didn't Shortmama send me some pictures to motivate me? My place is a STY!! I'm saving it for you to do when you come visit though. Mmmmkay?

But seriously - you are awesome. I can't believe how much you got done!

Meg said...

I love organizing so much that I actually started shaking with excitement when I started reading this. Yay!

1) naw, lazy susan's got it made. I mean, really....she also get's to be Suzie Homemaker..and what better compliment is there than that? I feel bad for Jane. Jane Do and Plain Jane. Poor thing. ;)

2) one tip that I think you wil LURVE for your pantry is to get a clear plastic shoe organizer and hang it on the back of the door. Then you can fill all the little pockets with seasoning packets and soup mixes and jello and stuff that doesn't fit nicely on the shelves because it is too small or odd shaped.

3) I also have those plastic shoe organizers on the backs of my kids' bedroom doors for scarves, hats, gloves, etc. Works beautifully.

4) and since we're kicking it up a notch, there's another one in my hall closet with pens, glue sticks, stapelers, ribbon, glitter, paint brushes, etc etc etc in it.

5) and another behind my bathroom door (I know. I told you organizing is a sickness) that holds lotions, brushes, and hair products up high, and all of my girls' hair bows in the bottom rows.

6) You can get gigantic rubber bands that fit around your board games to keep them closed tightly, then you can store them on their ends like books on the shelf. This will eliminate the jenga/house of cards effect everytime you want something from the bottom of the stack.

I'm so impressed with your lazy susans! Brilliant! I totally wish I had a pantry.

Meg said...

ps---$70? L.O.L.
I get excited over $2 in loose change under the sofa.

Jessica said...

$70? Time for a movie!

Your pantry looks great. I like how the average woman can pull this one off. A total compliment.

I actually think I caught you in the midst of organizing your pantry. I think your hair was in some crazy high ponytail!

Sarah Kate said...

So you basically paid yourself $70 for doing all that! Awesome! I'm never that lucky.

Your pantry redo is amazing!!!! (I'm a GV brand girl, too!!) I love the lazy susan idea! I have one big one for my pots and pans, and then another little one for my spices. I'd never thought of installing one for food, though! It worked out nicely!

I am not a big cleaning person (dusting, vacuuming, etc) but I LOVE having things organized and put away. We keep things nice by going through every 3 months or so and getting rid of what we don't use. It keeps me from having to do massive overhauls of all the closet and dressers every year or two. :o)

Em said...

those lazy susan's in the pantry were something i saw on pinterest, so functional and awesome!!! i def have the orginizational bug, thank you nesting hormones:)

Unknown Mami said...

You are a lazy Susan rock star! Own it!!!

Emmy said...

Okay you are totally awesome! Want to come clean my craft areas? Which is also in the garage by the way- boo. Though my goal is to get my house all organized and keep it that way so I can show to my husband that me moving the craft stuff to our bedroom would work. But in all reality I would probably have to give up blogging and every other leisure activity for that to really happen.

Impulsive Addict said...

Yes, I bet Susan's call Lazy Susan's Lazy Melissa's or something similar.

I love that idea though. Look at all that room it created! I did some organizing before Christmas. My OCD was in overdrive. I couldn't take it anymore. If I try to organize anything that Emma can reach, it all goes to hell.

Sela Toki said...

Wow, this is exactly what I need to do this new year. Thank you for the wonderful ideas I will definitely use it to organize my house. Especially that lazy susan round thingy. You're great.

Lourie said...

Okay...my whole house needs an overhaul because it looks like the before of your before pics! haha I have a goal to have my house in order by the end of the year. I wonder if I will meet it. haha.

You have done well my friend!

becca said...

want to come organize my house and see if you find 70.00 for me

jacky @ small home love said...

Great idea using the rotating circle in the pantry, it freed up half the space! I was actually thinking about trying to install pull out shelves in my pantry, the shelves are deep and stuff gets lost in the back.

Terry said...

Awesome. I love those lazy susans in the pantry - great use for them. And how about that $70. Woohoo -- that's like your karmic reward for organizing.

Peace Love Applesauce- Terri said...

Dang, you go girl!!

Karen Peterson said...

Wow! That looks amazing! I need to do something with my closet. It's really in desperate need of some help.

Kaylen said...

I love love love organizing!! It's so rewarding when you finish.
My biggest problem is that I love to pull things out of closets and cupboards and drawers and make that space really amazing - but I always end up with a pile of stuff that needs to be put in multiple diff places and by the time I get to that point, I'm bored and just want to walk away. I often will leave a pile nearby my newly organized area that just sits there for a week or two waiting to be put away!

My tip: I have a small silverware tray in my junk drawer for pens/pencils, clips, random papers, etc, so it looks much cleaner than stuff just sitting in a drawer.

hong kong property said...

that is such a great idea!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I so need this - LOL!

Myya said...

Can you lose $70 at my house next time you are here... please. :)

Looks great, come do that at my house Mmmmm K Thanks!

Mrs. Petrie said...

Nicely done, my friend. I really like the lazy susans. And I am jealous about the spacious pantry.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Holy cats! Unbelievable change for your pantry! That is awesome!
I am laughing at the $70. The most I've ever found in a situation like that was $5....
:)

hotpants™ said...

The spinny things are such a great idea!