Monday, March 19, 2012

Jewelry Organization

I know...it's weird around here lately, isn't it?

Organization stuff...crafty stuff...rest assured my totally incompetent and complete moronic self is still here. She's just hiding behind some cool stuff lately.

A few years back my mom and I were talking about how many pairs of stud and post earrings we have that get all mixed up no matter how you try to organize them in your jewelry box.

Sometimes it would take so long to find the matching earring that I just gave up and didn't wear any that day or wore some other ones that I didn't really want to. Hello. I was looking for gold, not silver. #shamefulfirstworldproblem.

My mom actually came up with a brilliant way to organize these things. Brilliant. And I will never store them any other way.

It's functional, easily storable, accessible and so organized!

If you are heavily medicated like me in the Dollar Tree and happen across these:

...or something like them, pick them up!

It's preferable to get the ones that are for a morning, afternoon, evening, etc, so that there are more compartments. Also make sure they are Monday through Sunday so, again, more compartments. Unless you don't have many studs and/or posts.

I have a lot. Like. A. Lot.

So I went through all of my little earrings and separated them out by color, theme, size, etc. Then I made labels for each kind I had and put them over the days and times on the pill boxes. Like this:


See all the different kinds? Small silver hoops, medium silver hoops, large blue studs, studs with flowers...etc.

The labels were just address labels for your printer that I cut into squares and wrote on them.

Notice the second from the bottom, second to the left says Dangle Flowers. Open it up and you have...



...dangle flowers.


So there ya go! An easy, inexpensive way to organize your smaller earrings! The ones that are big and/or decorative, I can hang up on my Earth To Alice Jewelry Board.


But these little buggers...these are hard to keep separate and organized.

How do you keep your studs organized?

(ps, every time i say studs i laugh. immature?)








These Peas Taste Funny






Photobucket

http://www.thegrantlife.com/search/label/financial%20friday

25 comments:

Xazmin said...

I keep my studs organized in a series of photo file folders on my laptop.

And your constant organization continues to make me feel inferior and self conscious of what you will think of me when you come here and see the true mess I am!

Date Girl said...

I wish I had enough jewelry to need to keep it all organized so fancy! Lucky girl!

Vodka Logic said...

Awesome idea, too bad my containers like that have pills in them... lol.

I don't have enough earrings but I do need an idea for hanging up necklaces. I have a thing for costume jewelry.

what are zooz earrings?

Sela Toki said...

Such a great idea. I just wish I had earrings to organize. My girls depleted me of every and any earthly jewelery I ever had. LOL.

VandyJ said...

What a great idea. If I can find one that will fit in my Jewelry cabinet (yes I have an armoire--my mom got it for me--don't judge) I will definitely have to use this to organize the jumble that is my earring draw.

Grammy Goodwill said...

That's a great idea. I'm constantly trying to figure out a way to keep my earrings organized and out where I can find them!

Furry Bottoms said...

Well, that is certainly very handy! I have a pillbox that I bought for my travels last summer. This is a very good idea!!

Meg said...

great idea!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell said...

Such a great idea! I have zero follow-through though. Zero. I always just take my earrings out and toss them onto my dresser shelf. Every single day....25 years running. I stink.

Connie Weiss said...

I have more of the dangly one's. I have a long plastic organizer with zippered pockets that I keep my earrings and some necklaces in.

Steph said...

I laugh every time Matt talks about his stud finder. Bahahaha.

Lourie said...

Of course!!! That makes perfect sense. I love it.

Em said...

i could organize all day. every day. pure joy to see it here.

Sarah Kate said...

Well that's a pretty great idea!! I don't have a lot of earrings, but I just keep them all on the little cardboard thingys they come on from the store. Then they all go in a small shoebox. Definitely not blogworthy material like this... ;o)

McVal said...

lol. I want to say that too!

I organize my studs by keeping them in a box until I need them.

Xazmin said...

Know what pisses me off? My post was up before yours and I have THREE freaking comments. You have 15. WTH?

Mamarazzi said...

BRILLIANT!! i never change my earrings (i am afraid i will lose my diamonds if i take them out) but this is so smart for Jordan. I am going to hook her UP!

Mindie Hilton said...

I use to be so organized, then came Bacon Time and Lucas and the poo hit the fan LOL.

I need to get organized. I am not going to give any tips because that would make me a hypocrite since I am very unorganized at the moment.

Just wanted to let you know I dropped something in the mail for you today, just a little surprise for being awesome. :)

Lori E said...

How clever is that. I don't wear hardly any jewelry at all but I know lots of people who would love this idea.

becca said...

cool idea

stephanie said...

I loooove me some organization! and I think this idea is adorable!

Terry said...

This is such a great organizational idea. I love getting things in shape and being able to find something I'm looking for makes me happy. Thanks so much for sharing at our party this week.

Beth @ Hungry Happenings said...

My jewelry is all piled in my jewelry box. This is a great idea.

Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks for linking up at BT.

Shana said...

I don't wear earrings but the one labeled "Gold balls" made me giggle...hee hee!