Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How to Spruce up a Hutch for less than 5 bucks.

Remember how I re-did my hutch a couple years ago?

Click here if ya don't.

Well...see...when I re-do something, I'm satisfied with it for about 5 minutes. Then I decide it sucks as bad as I thought it did when I was redoing it or I hate it or I just want to do something else to it.

In this case, even though all of the above are true, I put way too much time and bitching into it to trash it so I want to change it up some!

I've been thinking that a great way to do this would be to cover the backing. I don't really like the backing anyway because it's got creases in it. It's one of those cheapy box pieces of furniture. As in, it came in a box.

I've had this idea for awhile now that I could find a really cool roll of wrapping paper and cover it. I just can't ever find that wrapping paper that is perfect. I'm still on the search though, because this is relatively easy enough that I can change it out semi frequently.

The other day I was at the store and I'm always drawn to the fabric section. No, I'm not 90 and I don't quilt, but I love looking, okay?!

I had decided that fabric would be cheaper and there are so many options available!

Here's the before shot again.
ha! notice it was around the 4th that i finished this thing before. that's about right...my limit before i want to change something is usually a couple years.

Here it is after my tinkering:


Basically, I took the back off and wrapped it in the fabric I bought, which was 4.43 a yard. I only got one yard because I wasn't sure I'd need more than that and I wasn't sure if I'd like it when I got home.

Couple tips: Get 2 yards. You never know if you're gonna need more and you want to be on the safe side. I ended up having to cut and piece some fabric in the top portion and I don't like that. 

Of course, I'll change this out so it's not a big deal right now; it's kind of practice just to see if I'd like it. I actually attached it by wrapping it around the backing and then taping it since it was sort of a "test" project.

Also iron the fabric before you put it on! This is something that I always, always, always forget to do when I'm doing fabric projects. And I'm way too lazy to take it down now and iron it. 

Funny thing is that I wanted it to match my "accent" wall and my kitchen which is a mustard-y yellow. But it didn't have to be yellow at all, just matching somehow. When I held the dang fabric up to the wall it's an exact match. I couldn't have matched it if I was trying, I tell ya!

Anyway, it really changed the whole look of the piece of furniture and I like it a lot! I just love working with fabric because it's forgiving, especially with a non specific sort of pattern like this, and it's inexpensive usually. And there's so many different kinds to choose from!

Have you done anything fun with fabric lately? Or do you stay away from it like the plague like I used to?













These Peas Taste Funny


the Grant Life

14 comments:

Stephanie McCall said...

that's super cute! I might do something like this with my china cabinet here in a few months

Connie Weiss said...

That is a great idea. I like that you can change out the fabric when you want.

I'm still working on a quilt. Because I'm 90 years old. :)

Missy said...

That looks totally awesome! Love what you did with it.

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

First.. I love going to the fabric section and Im not 90.. I just like pretty things. Like anchor purses.

Two.. it came out really cute! I love the color.. and thats crazy/creepy that you matched it so well! Props.

Three.. Hobby lobby has the BEST wrapping paper ever. Its thick and comes in super cute colors. I buy like 15 rolls every year during their after Christmas sale. True story. So if you want me to send you a roll of Christmas paper.. I have a few extra.

Four.. this is a super long comment but totally worth reading til the end. Maybe? :)

Steph said...

Oh wow! That looks great.

I helped mom mass produce about 20 taggies last weekend. I cut the ribbons.

VandyJ said...

Great idea! I don't do much with fabric--but my mom does and if I need any I really need to check her fabric shop, ie basement, out first. She subscribes to the adage she who dies with the most fabric wins philosophy.

McVal said...

What a great idea of a background! It really brightens it up!
As you know, I love working with fabric too. my creative juices start to flow just holding the stuff...

Sarah Kate said...

Oh my gosh! Genius idea! This looks amazing!!! I really like the color of the fabric. It looks great against the black.

We had a cheap box furniture bookshelf in Lexie's room that I ended up giving away because it just looked cheap. I hated the pleats in the backing. Now I wish we'd kept it. That would have looked awesome in her room wrapped in fabric!

Mrs. Match said...

What a cool idea! I wish we had a hutch. I think I should go garage sailing and see if I can rescue one and then spruce it up like this!

Ducky said...

Yeah!!!! I love it! I love re purposing furniture or changing them in little ways. Looks awesome!!!!!

Mrs. Petrie said...

OOh, it looks fresh! I just did a fabric facelift for our backyard furniture, which I am too lazy to post. ;)

Mamarazzi said...

this is brilliant and darling. love love love it. So smart to use fabric, the possibilities are endless!

Cynthia said...

I have never done this with a cabinet, but I really like the idea. It looks great.

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

my kind of project and my kind of budget :) looks great